Cotton University (erstwhile Cotton College) has a rich haul of heritage buildings, which includes academic buildings as well as students' hostels. These buildings are the witnesses of the institution's glorious past. They also carry the flavor of early twentieth century architecture. Cotton is making full effort to preserve these century old structures. Recognizing the archaeological importance, recently University Grant Commission had sanctioned Rs 4.35 crore to Cotton College for conservation of its heritage buildings namely the present chemistry block, new Arts building, Principal's bungalow, KKH Boys' hostel, and SRB Boys' hostel and partially for digitization of its century old documents.
Present chemistry department is one of the oldest heritage structure. This is the first building where Cotton College started it's started it's epic journey of imparting higher education on 27th May 1901. Constructed with a cost of nearly Rs. 1 lakh, the single-storeyed building contained three airy and well-lighted class rooms, besides the Principal's room, the Professors' room, the office, and two large halls, one of which was a combined laboratory and lecture theater and the other an examination hall and library."
The new Arts building
The new Arts building was opened in 1929 to provide more space to the space-crunched arts departments. The sanctioned amount, to construct the building with two lecture halls, three large class rooms, and four seminar rooms was Rs. 73,900. Presently the building houses two art departments, namely Hindi and Philosophy.
Principal's bunglow (presently under renovation) was built in 1883-1884. It was originally used by tea planters as transit camp. Later on the bungalow was repurposed into principal's bungalow of Cotton College.
Sir Henry John Stedman Cotton
Sir Henry John Stedman Cotton, Chief Commissioner of Assam, from 1996-1902, the founder of Cotton College. The college initially opened with only four staff and 40 plus students. The bust is located at the centre of Manik Chandra Baruah Bhaban.
F. W. Sudmersen
F. W. Sudmersen , B.A. (Lond.) , IES ( Indian Educational Service) joined as Principal of Cotton College in May, 1901 and remained in charge of the college throughout the period except for one year from November 1902 to November 1903 when he went on leave on medical grounds. Besides being Principal, Mr. Sudmersen was also Professor of English Literatur. The bust is located in front of the Sudmersen Hall.
Prof. Atul Chandra Dutta
Prof. Atul Chandra Dutta was the founder and first Head of the Botany department, Cotton University (erstwhile Cotton College). Prof. Dutta serverd Cotton College during 1927-1954. The bust is located at the centre of the A.C. Dutta Bhaban, Botany department.
Manik Chandra Barua
Manik Chandra Barua played an imporment role in mobilising public opinion favouring the establishment of a college in the Assam. In March 1999, he submitted a memorendum to the commissioner of Assam province, justifying the need of establistment of a college. The bust is located at the left corner of the main entrance of MCB Bhaban.
Kalaguru Bishnu Prasad Rabha
Kalaguru Bishnu Prasad Rabha was a prominent cultural figure of Assam. His contributions in the fields of music, dance, painting, literature as well as politics was one of the key elements which have given the shape of modern Assamese society. The K. B. R. auditorium was named after Kalaguru Bishnu Prasad Rabha to commemorate his 100th birth anniversery. The bust is located just near the KBR hall.